Monday, May 05, 2008

Garbage Treasures

As some know, I love to go dumpster diving - the fine art of keeping an eye out when it's garbage day for someone else's garbage that can become my treasure, as well as checking out thrift shops, Good Will, and the like for great deals.  I've scores some cool things.  

Well, since we've moved into the house, I've had some great finds.  (I plan on posting some pics after I can take them, hopefully tomorrow after work.)  We got our futon for free.  When we were still at the apartment, a guy was moving out after only a year in there and had barely used his futon.  Unfortunately, he had already tossed the mattress into the dumpster, but the frame was in excellent shape.  I also got a small desk lamp from him as well.   The mattress we got when we were leaving for work one morning, still at the apartment, and I happen to see a young couple putting their frame in the dumpster.  I got out and asked them if they still had the mattress, and if they did, could they hold it for us until after work?  Guess what, they did!

More recent finds?  A "rocking" chair (I put it in quotes because it's not the typical chair, but you'll see that in the pics) for the three-seasons room, a plant stand, some garden tools and planters, and a wrought iron table with a mosaic top.  The top is broken, but all the more opportunity for me to put something really cool in there.  

Then there's tonight's find.  On the way home from getting our lawn mower (which was purchased from someone at work for quite cheap!) we noticed that there was garbage out.  Time to go diving!  Right down the street from the lawn mower was a guy who was having his garage floor and driveway redone.  So he had to clean out his garage.  He had a really cool shelving unit out for sale, which I would have loved to have bought but didn't have the money for.  I did get some S-hooks to use for hanging things out on the porch this summer.  As we made our way towards the house, we hit one particular street that had a great little cabinet for the bathroom!  Just needs a little cleaning up with a wet cloth, and we're good!  No scratches, no dents, no gouges, nothing!  SCORE!!!!!!

I'll take some pics tomorrow night of some of my finds and figure out how to post them on here.

Happy diving!
~linds

No comments: